Let’s show our support this Saturday, November 26th by shopping small!
Black Friday gets a lot of hype for deals on holiday shopping, but with 56% of Mainers employed by businesses right in our communities, we’re gathering our shopping bags for Small Business Saturday. Every November, we dedicate the Saturday following Thanksgiving to supporting and celebrating the businesses that make up the cornerstones of our communities. Did you know that small businesses, as defined by the SBA, employ over 61 million people in the US? When you shop at locally-owned businesses you make a big difference; your dollars stay in the community, create jobs, and help local development.
Here are some way to show your support this year:
Shop small, give big
With the holiday season quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to shop at your local businesses and pick up all of the gifts on your list.
- Make the effort to stop in at a small business you haven’t visited before – you may just find your new favorite place!
- New England is known to have some of the best cuisine in the nation, give a gift card to your favorite local restaurant this season. It may just become their new go-to spot!
Consider purchasing branded merchandise
Many businesses have fun products that showcase their logos. Support your favorite local shops by rocking their branded products to help spread their name brand recognition in the community and beyond.
Support your favorite small business without spending a dime
There are several ways to show appreciation of local businesses beyond shopping.
- Use social media to stay connected by following and liking their accounts. Be sure to tag them in your posts when you visit their local shop, wear their swag or eat their yummy food!
- Leave a positive review showing your appreciation for their services or products.
- Sign up for their newsletters to stay up-to-date on their latest offerings, and share the news with friends and family.
Showing your support in these easy ways can help keep our small business community thriving!